Friday, February 3, 2012

Bella Pollo (Beautiful Chicken)

I thought it fitting that my first recipe be the one that inspired me to begin writing them down again. It is because of this dish, that my new blog exists.

Bella Pollo
This is an incredibly easy dish to prepare, and the flavors absolutely explode in your mouth. My family loved it, and I hope yours will too.

4 Cups – Water (approximate)
2 Tablespoons – Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon – Garlic Salt
1 teaspoon – Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
4 – Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breasts
½ Cup – Butter or Margarine
1 – Medium White Onion, sliced
1 – Green Bell Pepper, sliced
1 – Red Bell Pepper, sliced
1 lb. - Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Marinading the Chicken
  • Pour about 2 cups of water into a large mixing bowl
  • Stir in Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and crushed red pepper until salt dissolves
  • Add chicken breasts to the bowl and add enough water to fully immerse.
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour

Preparation
  • In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat
  • Place chicken breasts in the skillet then cover with onions, peppers, and mushrooms
  • Cover and cook for approx. 10 minutes, stirring vegetables occasionally
  • Turn chicken, cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until juices run clear, stirring vegetables occasionally

Serve
  • Plate the chicken immediately with white rice (my preference)
  • Drizzle vegetables and broth over the rice
  • Serve with warm Italian bread and your favorite bottle of white wine.


Tips:

  • I usually marinade the chicken for a full 24 hours, unless it came out of my freezer.
  • I marinade chicken breasts ahead in the Worcestershire sauce / garlic salt mixture, and freeze them along with the juices in gallon size freezer bags for quick use later. The marinade has a wonderful flavor and is very versatile
  • Pounding out the chicken breasts before cooking will reduce the cook time.
  • Try the same recipe (minus the marinade) with Italian sausage links!
Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love the blog community, and I appreciate tasteful and constructive comments.

    Please share your thoughts!